Monday, April 10, 2006

 

Helping Kids Thrive!

For the last 5 days I was attending a National Conference on Positive Youth Development. That is what I do through the non profit I work for. We basically dream up ways to give youth more nurturing and supportive networks in their lives. We host several different programs and activities, ranging from Parental Courses to after school drop in. It is where my passion lays and I was so excited to be presenting at this conference. Most of the presenters had PhD's or some kind of huge educational and professional accomplishments. I was asked to present because I was part of the Summerland Asset Development Initiative when it first started and they just wanted me to share my story. I love presenting. Something about being in front of hundred of people- you feel like you really are impacting the world. I brought a Grade 12 student with to also present her story. We were the last presenters of the conference and it rocked. People were coming up to us afterward saying that we were their favorate part of the conference. It really warmed my heart. I wanted to share some information that was presented at the conference. Please use the shopping cart method, not everyone will agree with these views. But I truly believe that it when we start making our youth (all youth) a priority in our lives, we will see the word start to change.

James Vallbracht- Keynote- Search Institute
Power of Relationships:

Power of Repetition:

Leading with Assets: Goals

Definition of Leadership

Dr. Wooding: Parenting Crisis (Contraversal Topic)

Causes

Teen Violence:

Substance Abuse:

Depression (12% of youth have thought about suicide)

Obesity:

Society's Value Shift

Placing higher value on work over parenting:

Divorce:

Dicipline:

Education:

Media/ Modern Technology:

WORK LESS, PLAY MORE

KEEP FAMILIES TOGETHER

EFFECTIVE DICIPLINE

INDEPENDENCE

RECOGNIZE TALENTS

I know that some people may have different views on specifics, but I believe the fundamentals are true. We need to start taking a more active role in children's lives (ours, our friends, our neighbours, everyone). My challenge for you all today is to smile and say hello to a youth you don't know. Even that can make a difference. Together we can change the world.


Comments:
Wow! What a lot of great information. Thanks Susie!

Sounds like your days in Calgary went well. :) Congrats on a great presentation.
 
Sounds like a very worthwhile trip. Glad you're back in the land of Summer with your baby boy and hubby who both missed you so dearly. :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?