Tuesday, September 12, 2006

 

5 Deep Things

The last few days I have been thinking alot about the evolving family. Family's change so much over the years. You start off as two people in love and grow to a family of three or more. With our new baby on the way, I like to reflect on what type of mother I am, what type of wife I want to be, and ultimately the kind of person I aspire to be. Talking to Dana last night, I realised how sensitive I am to how other people treat their loved ones (including myself). Sometimes I put on this big front, like "I don't care what you think", but truly I do care. It hurts me that I don't have the relationship I wish I had with several members of my family. I often wonder what I am doing wrong, or if I am the cause of all this grief. Most of the time I blame myself and feel so helpless, and then there are glimmers of hope when I feel validated by people who support me and our family. It is not always easy saying what you believe to be right, most of the time it is a very hard road to travel. I was so inspired by this girl on this show called 'Made'. She was an opera singer and in the marching band, but she always wanted to start a rock band. Her 'coach' told that being a rock meant totally exposing how you feel to the world whether they want to hear it or not. He told her that a lot of people would hate her for it, but many would respect her for it and those people are called her fans. He then said it ultimately was about being true to herself and following her heart. In this show, they gave out assignments and her first was to stand up in front of her highschool class, and tell them all 5 deep, personal things that she has never told anyone. She basically got up and shared her feelings, but I was so inspired because I am a firm believer that many people wear masks, never truly exposing how they feel and in essence who they truly are. I will be the first to say that I am one of those people. I try to reveal certain things to certain people, but the fear of not only rejection, but vunrability is too strong. This seems like a really heavy post to have on blogger, but so often you see posts about family, events, updates- and not very often to read something true that truly allows you into that persons world. So hear I go, sharing something true. 5 Deep things that I have never publically spoken:
1. I wish I could have an amazing parent daughter relationship.
2. I wish that my parents could support the decisions I have made, even if they don't agree with them.
3. I wish I had a strong sister like relationship with my two sister-in-laws.
4. Sometimes I feel like no-one sees who I truly am or knows what is in my heart.
5. I am very self conscious and want nothing more than to be accepted.

Read it, feel it, let it become a part of who you are, or completely disregard it or attack it. Whatever your reaction is, embrace it. This is how we learn and grow.

That wasn't too bad, now if I can only hit the 'publish post' button.....

Comments:
You did it! You hit publish post. Good for you Susie. I'm proud of you. I love how real you are. I'm not sure I could post 5 things.
 
Just out of curiosity, the relationship with your sister-in-laws, does that refer to me n Trisha or to Kailli and Shalane? I want you to know Susan that although you and I are sometimes completely opposite in our ways of doing things, that I love and support you in whatever life decisions you make, after all, it IS your life. Love you.
 
Just out of curiosity, the relationship with your sister-in-laws, does that refer to me n Trisha or to Kailli and Shalane? I want you to know Susan that although you and I are sometimes completely opposite in our ways of doing things, that I love and support you in whatever life decisions you make, after all, it IS your life. Love you.
 
Whoops, don't know how that ended up on there twice...anyhow, on another note, I believe with all my heart that no matter what you believe to be right, not everyone will agree with your decisions. If you truly want acceptance, look within yourself and think about whether you have been non-judgemental and accepting of others who don't necessarily share your belief system. There is room to grow on all sides. I wish myself that we had a better and closer relationship, that said, now we have something to work on together. The bottom line is that no matter how differently we live our lives and how often the family might disagree on certain matters, there is one constant, love. Too often we focus on the other person's shortcomings and forget what unconditional love really is. Loving without strings or conditions and accepting the things we can't change and being at peace with it all. The only person who can make decisions in your life is you and speaking for myself, no matter what, I will always be here for you regardless of whether I believe in the choices you make or not. Family is about sticking together in good times and bad and if you really search your heart, I know you'll realize that no matter what the situation may be, you are loved. My hope is that you will come to a peaceful truce with Mom and Dad and realize that even though things aren't always perfect, you have two parents who love you. I wish my dad was still here even though I hated the way he lived his life and didn't always agree with the choices he made. I only came to realize how much I loved him after he died. Take what good you can and leave the rest. Life is too short to be at odds and you never know how much time you have to right all the wrongs, swallow your pride and tell the people in your life how much you love them. Just my thoughts....
 
Way to be real, sweetie :)

Takes guts. And we all struggle with similar things :)
 
I watched that episode of Made too, and it was inspiring. I make it a goal not to wear masks, but sometimes I find that I'm even wearing one in front of myself. Thanks for sharing. Even if someone says something unpleasant it's a great step on your path of accepting and loving your self totally and completely, and I truly think that's one of the hardest journey's in life.
 
Brave woman, good for you!
 
Susie, the things you shared are part of us all. Everyone (including myself) wants to be loved and to belong. You are going to be a great momma to the child that's inside you now. :)
 
I don't think there's a person who doesn't want these things. I wish I had a better mother/daughter relationship most of all, but all ring true for me, too.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?