Monday, October 02, 2006

 

Independant Time

Well, last night I was made aware by a certain goddess that giving our children appropriate independant play time was actually really good for them, and let's face it, for us too! I guess I was getting kinda down on myself because this pregnancy has been throwing my body through a whirl wind of emotions and illness, and I don't always have the energy to plan organise play with Kynan. And when I see all the wonderful things that other moms do with their children (paint, bake, cook, garden, ect...), I sometimes feel like I am not giving Kynan what all he needs to learn. That is, until last night. I had a really great conversation with a mom whom I really admire, and she shared with me that some of her greatest pleasure comes when she watched her son play and imagine things on his own. As she said this, I looked over at Kynan just as he was creating a carrying devise for his puzzle pieces and I almost cried (again I am emotional). It amazes me how much our children learn just by experimenting and trial'n'error. Their imaginations are the greatest toys they have. After talking with that mom, I felt so much better about myself and my own mothering skills. When I layed Kynan to bed that night, he looked up at me and said what I thought was, "love mom". It is in those moments I feel like I am the greatest mom in the world.

Comments:
It's so true Susie. I think there is a time for everything. For interacting with your child, for planning activites for them, for letting them watch t.v., and to let them run and play on their own. You are a good mom because you CARE enough to worry about those types of things. :)
 
You are defintely the perfect mom for Kynan, and the baby you're carrying! I love those times of surprise when you start to think, 'they must be so bored' and all of a sudden they're laughing hysterically!
 
Independent time is good for them...and for YOU!

You are a GREAT Mommy to Kynan - your love for him is so very apparent!
 
I just went through all of that guilt myself (when you had just moved in and I was JUST pregnant). Independant time is really important. To your children, and to you. Do not feel bad. I think it's great when kids entertain themselves. Stimulates the brain. And you'll get more energy and feel good really soon. Really. You are a terrific mom, how could you end up with a teriffic son if you weren't?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?