Friday, January 26, 2007
SAHM
Angella had recently made a post about Oprah's show on stay at home moms. It got me thinking about what my wants and needs are as a mom too. I never thought I would be married with a toddler and another on the way at age 23. I thought I would be in college or travelling the world, but plans definitely change when you meet your soul mate in Grade 10. Especially if that soul mate is a family man who loves babies. It makes the decision to have a young family relatively easy. I remembering gearing up to have Kynan and dreaming of spending my days cuddling him and showing him what a miracle I thought he was. After about 6 months of all the loving (and diapers, baby talk, sleepless nights, being the only young mom I knew in Kelowna), I did ask myself what I got myself into and quickly decided that I was not the stay at home type. I longed for something more, and Dana can attest that I wasn't easy to live with during that period. I was always online looking at courses to take so that I could chose to work from home or out of the home. I looked at things like interior design, professional organising, event coordinator, even opening a spa. As you can tell I have many different interests. When we moved to Summerland, I knew there wouldn't be much options and I knew I probably would be opening a daycare, which I wasn't excited for at all. And that's probably why it failed before it even began. When my job at SADI opened up it was as if God was smiling on me saying "I know what's in your heart, Susie". I was releived, excited, and a little heart broken. Now most moms who work outside the home do so out of neccessity, not choice. This is my problem with this debate of whether not to or to do. It all depends on your situation. For Dana and I, it is not at all an option for me not to work because then we wouldn't have a roof over our heads. I know most of you are thinking, "but you want to work outside the home according to what you just wrote." Well, that is something I learned over the past year. I don't want to work away from Kynan. I miss him so much it hurts, but I also miss giving back to my community like I did when I was in high school. Now as I near my 2nd maternity leave I am so anxious to be home, I can't tell you. People are constantly changing their minds as what they feel is best for them. It is what makes us human. I guess my point of this blog is that for some of us, working outside the home is not a choice we made it was a choice we were forced into. I salute all moms for what they do because we all struggle with making the right decisions. And as I conclude this post, I rush, as I have to go to work, LOL! Irony.
Comments:
<< Home
We all do what we feel is best *right now*. What is best can change over the years. You are a great employee, a great wife and a great mom, so you have plenty of options. :)
Seriously, what is wrong with anonymous comments? That was pretty hurtful, and I'd like to say to just forget it Susie especially because they didn't have the balls to leave their name.
Motherhood is a blessing whether you're living in a 400 square foot bachelor suite or a 4000 square foot house.
Why do we as a society have this mentality that our children need to be provided the world? Like when we signed up to do RESP's for the kids, we had the option to put enough money away so their WHOLE education AND room and board would be paid for. Whatever happened to setting goals, and working for what you want, and why do we seem to thing that our parents should have to do it for us? Mine did the best they could for me, which did not iclude totally paying for school, and I think I ended up just fine. As did you.
Anyways, Susie, I get the point of your post, and I agree. We do what's best for us, if it's a have to go to work situation, or if it's a want to go to work situation, or a mix of both.
Anonymous commenter, go home!
Motherhood is a blessing whether you're living in a 400 square foot bachelor suite or a 4000 square foot house.
Why do we as a society have this mentality that our children need to be provided the world? Like when we signed up to do RESP's for the kids, we had the option to put enough money away so their WHOLE education AND room and board would be paid for. Whatever happened to setting goals, and working for what you want, and why do we seem to thing that our parents should have to do it for us? Mine did the best they could for me, which did not iclude totally paying for school, and I think I ended up just fine. As did you.
Anyways, Susie, I get the point of your post, and I agree. We do what's best for us, if it's a have to go to work situation, or if it's a want to go to work situation, or a mix of both.
Anonymous commenter, go home!
From my perspective Susan I think you do a good job at balancing being a mother and having a career. I haven't had any children yet, but I do think about whether a career in my field will be something that I can do part-time when my children are small. I would love to be home with them for their first few years but that may not be possible and I may need more than that to fulfill me as well. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on that!
Post a Comment
<< Home

