Sunday, May 20, 2007
The Birth of Ava







7 Ibs. 10 oz.
Born May 19th 2007 at 9:50am
64 cm Long, 32 cm Head Circumference
3 Big Pushes and she was here.
As I am sure most of you know by now, we have finally welcomed our bambino into the world and she is the most precious little girl I have ever laid eyes on. She is stunning and beautiful and simply put is breathtaking.
The Details....
After Fridays appointment, Dana and I left a little disappointed that after stripping my membranes, labour didn't start immediately. After going home and calling the hospital to see if we could get an induction for Saturday and turned down we were even more disappointed (long story short- I wanted a specific doctor). So after some calming words from my mom and Dana's, we went home to spend a relaxing night just the three of us. We went for a walk, ice cream, watched a movie, had a bath, and went to bed at about 11:30. I should say Dana did, I on the other hand couldn't sleep and instead went and sat out on our deck to talk to our baby. I told my belly of all the beautiful things I was looking at that very moment (the stars, night lights, glows in the distance....). I also shared what an amazing person I thought they would be and how excited I was to share our lives together. I finally went inside at about 12:30 and went to bed.
At 5 am the next morning I felt the first set of contractions. It was a little harsher than my brackstin hicks, but not by much. By 6:30am they were consistant at 8 minutes apart and I thought rather be safe than sorry and woke Dana up to go get accessed by the doctor. As we were walking out the door the contractions had jumped to about 4 minutes apart. I could still manage them ok, breathing through them relatively fine. Once I got up to labour and delivery and was accessed at 5 cm dilated, the contractions were only 3 minutes apart and seemed manageable. Carleen arrived shortly after to offer additional support and what seemed like minutes later, I was in full labour with intense contractions only about 2 minutes apart. Everytime the doctor examined me I was expecting her to say, you are almost there with onlt 2 cm to go, but it seemed like a gradual climb to 8 cm dilated. At 8 cm, I had the intence urge to push, but of course the doctor advised I try and breathe through them- which was incredibly difficult. Finally at 9 cm, I had no choice. All I could remember the doctor saying was, "No, not yet Susie. We're only 9.... never mind we're crowning. Go ahead and push." It was incredibly painful, but at the same time thrilling to know that my body knew just what to do and when to do it. Ava was pushed out with only 3 pushes. It was so nice having labour support there this time around. Carleen was awesome at knowing what to say to calm me down when seeing red on the ground at my feet to rubbing back at all the right moments and helping me rock Ava down. Dana was incredibly strong as he was pretty much there to rip apart during the contractions. He held on to me so strong and heped me breathe through each contraction. I was also incredibly blessed to have an amazing doctor and nursing team. A special shout out to them, Dr. Frasinkski & Marilyn.
Kynan has adapted well to having a little sister and seems to want to dout on her every chance he gets. He of course missed us and I know this will be an adjustment for him, but I am confident he will be the best big brother.
Dana was a surprize in the mix and turns out that Ava LOVES her daddy. I mean loves. To the point that all I am really good for is nursing and the occasional cuddle. Dana has been rocking her, sleeping with her, walking her around the hospital. He is in love with her. Even on the car ride back home he kept asking me to check on her because she was just too quiet. Those two will be insperable.
That's it for now. Will keep you updated. I am now going to sleep while both babes are sleeping.
Goodnight.
And here is to dreams coming true.
Labels: birth
Comments:
<< Home
Congratulations McCallum Clan! She is beautiful! I'm glad that everything went smoothly for you!
All the Best!
The Macfarlanes.
All the Best!
The Macfarlanes.
She is absolutely beauiful Susie! WOw!
What a beautiful birth story too. I'm so glad you got your baby girl. :)
What a beautiful birth story too. I'm so glad you got your baby girl. :)
Yay! Congratulations!! She is beautiful, and I love her name! One of each is so fun.
I tried to visit Sunday but you were already gone.
I tried to visit Sunday but you were already gone.
Yay! Congratulations to you all! Babies are such a blessing. We look forward to seeing our new grand baby soon.
Oh yay!! I'm so excited to hear that all went well and you have a healthy baby girl, finally. She's sure tiny for being so overdue!! Enjoy that newborn stage that goes so quickly. I'm hoping to join you in that stage soon!!
Congrats Susan, Dana, and Kynan! I am so glad how perfectly everything worked out :) Ava is beautiful
Congratulations, Ava looks just perfect, Im so glad everything went so smoothly and you got all the support you needed to make for a quick delievery with a happy healthy baby!
Gorgeous, Susie! She looks so much like Kynan! Thanks for sharing all the pics and telling the story. I am so glad your sweet bundle made it here safe and sound and that you're finally NOT PREGNANT anymore! :)
I'd love to see you and Ava when you're feeling up for visitors.
I'd love to see you and Ava when you're feeling up for visitors.
So happy that she's here and that you didn't have to go through induction again, as it really seemed to not be what you wanted! It really is amazing how our bodies know what to do. She is adorable and I'm so happy you guys are so happy and so in love!
Oh Susie! What a BEAUTIFUL little girl! i almost cried when i heard you had a girl. You are so brave. i can't wait to hold her! I'll be stopping by as soon as the dust settles.
Happy Birthday Susan!
Hope you had a wonderful day with family and friends.
Hopefully your card arrived on time too!
Love, Sue, Mike and Jared
Post a Comment
Hope you had a wonderful day with family and friends.
Hopefully your card arrived on time too!
Love, Sue, Mike and Jared
<< Home


